The Election Security Monitoring Team Anambra 2021 for Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide- Youth Wing has called for immediate and unconditional release of leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra-IPOB, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.
The team, in a statement signed by its Chairman, Mazi Chukwuma Okpalaezeukwu and made available to The Agenda News also commended the IPOB for cancelling the earlier planned week-long sit at home.
Below is the full statement:
PRESS STATEMENT BY THE ANAMBRA ELECTION SECURITY MONITORING TEAM OF OHANAEZE NDIGBO WORLDWIDE- YOUTH WING, ON THIS DAY FRIDAY 5TH NOVEMBER, 2021 IN AWKA ANAMBRA STATE
Following due consultations with Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, all Stakeholders and not limited to INEC, Security Agencies, State Government, Traditional Institutions, Candidates and Agitators over the forthcoming November 6th Governorship Election in Anambra State; We hereby State as follows:
1. That we acknowledge the necessity of a Peaceful, Transparent and Credible election in Anambra State tomorrow, and therefore call on all eligible Voters, especially the Youths, to come out and actively participate in the voting process without any form of fear or intimidation.
2. We have noted with concern the various security challenges surrounding this all important Anambra State Governorship Election, ranging from the IPOB sit at home from 5th to 10th November for Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, the BNG No Election mantra for Mrs. Onyekachi Orji and other Igbo Youths unjustly detained for almost two decades without Judgement, and many others who have lost Confidence and Hope in the integrity and sincerity of Government and her Agencies for a Better Society, especially in Igbo Land.
3. As we condemn in strongest of terms the Injustices mated on these Agitators, we therefore demand immediate and unconditional release of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, Mrs. Onyekachi Orji and all other prisoners of conscience that are unjustly held in detention facilities across Ala Igbo and Nigeria at Large.
4. We appreciate that the factors that begot these various unrest across the regions in the Country, especially in SouthEast, are Political and therefore require Political Solutions.
On this note, We admonish the Political Leaders across Nigeria, especially in SouthEast, to rise up to the occasion and provide Leadership rather than occupy the Positions without taking responsibilities.
5. Sequel to the above, we call on our agitating Brothers and Sisters to sheath their swords and give Peace, Stability and Dialogue a chance, as we, the apex Leadership of Igbo Youths under the aegis of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide- Youth Wing hereby declare Commitment and Determination to take responsibility in ensuring that Justice is expeditiously granted to these detainees.
6. In cognizance of the tensed political atmosphere, we respectfully call on the Security Agencies to effectively instill in the operations personnels deployed for this Election, the necessity of professionalism while diligently discharging their duties before, during and after the election. This is to put in check all act of high-handedness, undue intimidation, provocation and other actions that undermine and abuse the fundamental Human Rights of the electorates.
On the other hand, we call on Ndi Anambra, especially the Youths to desist from violating any form of Electoral Acts, in order not to provoke nor attract the wrath of the law.
7. We therefore commend the Presidency and Independent National Electoral Commission for their resolve and determination to ensure that Anambra Election is not manipulated nor hijacked. The people must exercise their franchise and their must count in order to deepen the dividends of Democracy.
We have mobilized and engaged 20(Twenty) Responsible and Indigenous Youths per ward as Anambra Youths Volunteers, to Voluntarily assist and complement the formidable efforts of the Electoral Umpire and Security Agencies for even Sensitization and Mobilization of eligible Electorates and for all round Surveillance and reliable intelligence, respectively, across the State. We also urge all local and international observers as well as the press to rise up to their duties towards ensuring the conduct of a free, fair and credible election tomorrow 6th of November 2021.
8. In solidarity to the various Candidates of the renowned Anambra Governoship Election 2021, We acknowledge the sacrifice of commiting to Peace Accord, and therefore urge them to strictly abide by it.
With profound Gratitude, we commend our Leader Amb. Prof. George Obiozor (UgwuMba)- President General, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, His Excellency Chief Sir Willie M. Obiano KCSG (Akpokuodike)- Executive Governor and Chief Security Officer of Anambra State and Igbo Youths, for providing the required Leadership and enabling Environment that has begotten the Peace and Security that can assure Credibility and Transparency of this all important Election, tomorrow.
9. In cognizance of Non- Kinetic approach to National issues, we consciously commend IPOB, BNG, MASSOB, BIM and other Self Determination Groups in Igbo Land for considering and declaring Support and Solidarity to Anambra November 6th Governoship Election. This shall go a long way to discourage voter apathy and shall motivate people to participate effectively without any fear of intimidation. We call on Mischief Makers, Crisis Generators and Political thugs to heed to wise counsel and make hay while the Sun shine by not daring to endanger themselves in a bid to execute their master’s plots.
On this note we advise ineligible voters to stay clear from polling centers and units, in order not to fall Victims of mistaken identity or any unfortunate situation as usually begotten by illegality.
Together, Ala Igbo is safe and secure.
Mazi Chukwuma Okpalaezeukwu
Chairman, Election Security Monitoring Team Anambra 2021 for Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide- Youth Wing