Connect with us

News

Tinubu never said Gov Uzodinma was blocking release of Nnamdi Kanu – Presidency

Avatar

Published

on

The Presidency refuted the reports claiming that Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State had obstructed President Bola Tinubu from securing the release of Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

Bayo Onanuga, the Special Adviser to Tinubu on Information and Strategy, dismissed these reports as false. In a statement he issued, Onanuga clarified that Tinubu had not held any meetings with Igbo businessmen with the intention of securing Kanu’s release.

Earlier reports had suggested that Tinubu disclosed that his efforts to secure Kanu’s release had been thwarted by Uzodinma, who expressed concerns about releasing Kanu prior to the Imo state elections.

Tinubu was quoted as saying, “Uzodinma told me the dangers of releasing Mazi Nnamdi Kanu now that the Governorship election of Imo state is at the corner. My intention was to order for his release a few weeks ago when our brother, Igboho was released but I was surprised when the Governor of Imo State approached me to reverse my decision to do so. My reason to even attempt to release him is to enable the people of the South East geopolitical zone have peace. The zone has witnessed major security challenges where armed security militia, ESN has killed several souls.”

In response, Onanuga urged the people of Imo to ignore the purported false news against Uzodinma.

Advertisement

He stated, “The people of Imo State should please disregard the fake news in circulation that Governor Hope Uzodimma is blocking the release of IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu by President Bola Tinubu.

“The fake news is obviously designed to build some resentment against the governor who has done very well for his people and who deserves a second term via Saturday’s election.

“President Tinubu did not meet Igbo businessmen on Monday. He didn’t say what was ascribed to him. He didn’t blame Gov. Uzodimma for anything.

“Sahara Reporters did not report the fake news. The link provided did not lead to the fake news on the Sahara Reporters platform.

“It’s all wicked lies by politically desperate people.”

Advertisement

News

Police condemn killing of man over alleged blasphemy in Bauchi

Avatar

Published

on

The Bauchi State Police Command has condemned the killing of a man identified as Yunusa by a mob over alleged blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad.

DAILY POST reports that the sad incident occurred on Wednesday at about 3 pm in Nasaru community, located in Ningi Local Government Area of the state.

An eyewitness, Umar Abubakar, in a phone interview with DAILY POST, said an argument erupted between the victim and another individual, during which he allegedly made the blasphemous remarks, which quickly escalated to a mob action.

Reacting to the mob action, the spokesperson of the Bauchi State Police Command, Ahmed Wakil, in a statement made available in Bauchi on Thursday, said: “It has come to our attention that an individual named Usman was involved in sharing information about a new religious movement known as the Fera Movement. Regrettably, this led to tensions and an altercation, resulting in the loss of his life.”

According to him, Commissioner of Police Auwal Musa Muhammad condemned the actions of the individuals involved while emphasising the importance of upholding the rule of law.

Advertisement

He charged the public to work with law enforcement agencies and refrain from taking matters into their own hands.

CREDIT: DAILY POST

Continue Reading

News

Federal College of Education Gusau resumes academic activities after 3-month strike

Avatar

Published

on

The College of Education Academic Staff Union, COEASU, of the Federal College of Education Technical, FCET, Gusua, Zamfara State, has suspended its strike action unconditionally, saying that lecturers have resumed their academic activities.

DAILY POST reports that the three-month industrial action was called off on Thursday after a long-hour meeting by members of the union at the college in Gusau, the state capital.

Speaking with newsmen shortly after the meeting, a member of the union, Muktar Abdullahi, apologised to parents, guardians and students for the inconvenience caused by the over three months strike.

According to him, the decision to call off the strike was reached unconditionally after the members of the union were able to resolve issues at stake in the college.

Earlier, the coalition of Zamfara State civil societies and the well-wishers had recently staged a protest over what they called the anti-progress pose of the union.

Advertisement

Speaking on behalf of the coalition, Alhaji Nasiru Garba, has said that they show their solidarity to Hajiya Hauwa’u Mukhtar Abdul Karim, being the substantive and only female and indigenous provost since the creation of FCET Gusau in 1988.

According to him, some members of the embattled union are undermining the college.

He said: “Some academic staff of the college do not want the college to be manned by a substantive provost; they always want to lead the institution in acting capacity as caretakers, which is very bad, and by doing so, the college will never progress.”

He called on the federal government, through the Minister of Education, to ensure the speedy transfer of the COEASU members to other federal colleges of Education.

“That will help the growth of the institution to allow the provost to continue with the good job she started,” he said, stating that the coalition of civil societies is behind the leadership of Dr. Hauwau Muktar Abdulkarim.

Advertisement

CREDIT: DAILY POST

Continue Reading

News

Army arrest alleged mastermind of Taraba killings

Avatar

Published

on

Troops from the 6 Brigade Nigerian Army/Sector 3 Operation WHIRL STROKE (OPWS) in Taraba State have arrested a terrorist linked to recent deadly attacks in the Bali local government area.

Last week, several people, including a 92-year-old man, were killed in Mararaban Azagawa village in Bali. In a statement released on Thursday, Lieutenant Oni Olubodunde, Acting Assistant Director of 6 Brigade, Army Public Relations, confirmed the arrest of the terrorist responsible for the attack.

The suspect, identified as 39-year-old Hassan Ibrahim, was found with a dane gun, cartridges, and a motorcycle belonging to one of the victims. Nicknamed Godu, Ibrahim has admitted to his role in the attack and has provided valuable information to the authorities.

“He is currently in custody and cooperating with authorities to help capture his collaborators,” the statement noted.

Brigadier General Kingsley Chidiebere Uwa, commander of 6 Brigade Sector 3 OPWS, praised the public for their valuable information that led to the suspect’s capture. He urged continued public support to help eliminate criminal activities in Taraba State.

Advertisement

“The successful capture of the terrorism mastermind is a significant achievement for the troops and a step towards restoring peace and security in the affected community,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Trending